Franken: Dorothy's Journey To The Stars!

20

Posted on : 15:30 | In : , , , ,

Hi all!

A couple of years ago I was browsing the web and I stumbled upon this blog post by The Nailphile on the original Dorothy Who?. This is the first polish I fell in love with and it was the beginning of my love affair with nailpolish and nails. I spent the next few days reading her entire blog and when I was done I followed links to other blogs and did the same there.

You can imagine how happy I was when China Glaze announced they would bring the Wizard of Ooh Ahz Collection back! Finally I would have the chance to own this beauty myself! As soon as it came out I bought Dorothy Who? but when I saw it in person I was dissapointed. This looked nothing like the original and frankly, I think the new version is just plain ugly. It's too light and too silvery and kind of cheap-looking.

Left: Esprit Metallic Blue, Right: China Glaze Dorothy Who?


Another polish I was disappointed in was Metallic Blue by Esprit. It has an indigo base with turquoise and magenta microglitter and looks gorgeous in the bottle but on the nail the glitter won't show up as much as I would like. I bought this to kill the lemming I had for a darker blue glitter polish like Essie's Starry Starry Night but was not satisfied.

Close-up: left: Esprit Metallic Blue, Right: China Glaze Dorothy Who?


So I did the only reasonable thing to do: I frankened them!



I'm calling it Dorothy's Journey To The Stars.


It looks nothing like the original Dorothy Who? and nothing like Essie's Starry Starry Night but I love it! The different colored microglitters from Metallic Blue give it so much depth!


Unfortunately the sun wouldn't come out and play...




The recipe is fairly simple. I had about half a bottle of Dorothy Who? left after using if for other frankens and the Esprit polish was a 5ml mini so I just added that one to Dorothy Who? a couple of drops at a time until I was satisfied with the color which turned out to be when the entire bottle of Esprit was empty.

I think this franken needs a bit of clear polish to make a a tad more jelly and bring the glitter out more, but the bottle is full so that will have to wait until I've worn it a couple of times.

Thanks for looking!

Comments (20)

Wow! Wonderfull frankie <3 And i love his name ;)

Wow such a stunning franken! Love it! :)

Thanks Ana and The-swatchaholic!

What a beautiful color!!

WOoo that is one gorgeous franken!

That's awesome! I like the Dorthy Who? Color on its own, but your franken is really cool! I hope I eventually can get creative like that. For now i'll just stick to buying them! lol Great color and love love love the name!

What a stunning franken, I would buy it!

I really like the overall result!

Thanks everyone!

@Nazin: it's really easy and fun to make your own frankens and not nearly as scary as it seems. I started by using cheap drugstore polishes so I wouldn't feel bad if I screwed it up. haha

I love both this colours! So so cute! Maybe you can check out my nailblog? I am a newbeginner, but I get better all the time! x)

Lots of hugs from Thea <3 http://hverdagsnegler.blogspot.com

Kind of reminds me of the Chanel "Ciel De Nuit"! http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_qoABuvVoKlU/Sp2ebd3_p6I/AAAAAAAAAWU/uQ0r4bnF0GQ/s320/DSC01304edit2.jpg

quite glamorous

Totally awesome. Really looked similar to the night sky. It is so captivating.

i love your blog, it 's realy help me :-)

dorothy who is wow!!!

such a pretty blue...didn't know esprit has a nail polishes...thats great! and china glaze glitters are just stunning! we are your new followers...stop by my blog and if you like it maybe follow :) have a great day dear

http://meandmycousin1.blogspot.com/

Wait isn't there a dark Dorothy who? as a part of the core line?

Wow I love those glitter polishes. They are seriously stunning.

Hi there , liked your post very much the colors you have used are very beautiful and really attractive keep posting.....shellacnailpolishes

Great Swatches!

Een reactie posten